Thursday, July 19, 2012

DIY pocket embellishment

Over the weekend I did a little sewing with Pip and it made me a little craft hungry. I had a pair of pants that were just asking for a little extra umph, so I treated them to some pocket embellishments:)




I went to hobby lobby and got 1/8th of a yard of 2 different fabrics, a great floral, and a black a white stripe.
Using my pockets as a guide I cut 2 strips off the end of each of the fabrics, the floral one about 2 1/4" and the stripe about 1 3/4"




Placing right sides together I sewed a 1/2" seam allowance, the pressed it open








Once it was pressed open I pressed a 1/4" seam allowance all long the edges of the fabrics








Then I took some ribbon and placed it along the bottom of my fabric and did a straight stitch along the edge.








Then I took a needle and thread and using a blind stitch hand stitched the fabric to my jeans




Voila!




When I finished I realized I had extra fabric (poor me :) enough to make a skirt for Tober cakes.




So I took some elastic, and measured her little waist, and cut a 20" piece




I did a zigzag stitch around the outsides of both fabric pieces and placed them right sides together.








Using a half" seam allowance I sewed a straight stitch along the top of the two pieces








And pressed it open




Then I took my fabric a put right side together again only at the side seam making sure to line up the seam lines just right




And sewed that together using a 1/4" seam allowance




And once again, pressed it open




I overlapped my elastic 1/2" and sewed it together








Next is the trickier part, you have to line the fabric up with the elastic




I pinned the sides first then the front and back middles and again between those




Then I sewed a zigzag stitch along the edge sewing the elastic to the skirt, making sure to pull the elastic tight as I went








Last but not least the hem, first I folded over and pressed a 1/4" hem




And then again




I pinned the ribbon so that half of it would hang and expose a scalloped edge




And with a straight edge stitch I was done!












Tober loves to pose :)












My beautiful (big!) girl when did she go from this




to this




For the price of about $3 I have two extremely satisfying garments




Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: