Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Picnic Blouse Tutorial





Are you enjoying nice summer weather? Cause I am not. It has been raining cats and dogs lately! But I know that one day the sun will come back out to play and when it does I will be ready with a PICNIC BLOUSE, easy breezy. { a great blouse for nursing MOms}Do you want one too? All you need is 2 old pillow cases worth of fabric, some elastic and you are on your way.






The first piece you will need is a front.





Followed by a back




And 2 sleeves






A ruffle {x2} 6"x 32"long



First you take your front and back right sides facing each other and sew a straight stitch along the sides.




make sure you match up the sides, not like shown in the above picture.




Then take the sleeves {hem the exposed edge first} and sew the smallest edges together. place the sleeve {right side out}, inside the shirt that is inside out. Right sides should be facing each other. If you look at the picture of the sleeve pattern up above there is a longer side. That side is the back, and the short is the front.




What you should have now is a wide neck shapeless blouse.







So you are going to want to fold the top of the blouse over {towards the inside} and sew a straight stitch. Make sure you make it wide enough to string the elastic through and leave an opening. take a piece of elastic about 30" long with a safety pin on both ends, string it through.


And then stitch elastic together, sew the top closed.




Sew your 2 pieces of ruffles together, follow this tutorial to learn how to make a ruffle. Lay the ruffle inside out on top of the bottom of the blouse right side out {right sides facing} and attatch the ruffle to the blouse.




And ta da! you have the perfect blouse, so go out and enjoy the day!





P.s. I added a belt to give it a waist, you dont have to make one, but if you want to you can simply measure your waist add 10-15" cut a piece of fabric that length. sew it and flip it inside out, wrap around your waist and tie it in a pretty little bow! Confused probably, I am not the best at explaining these things. Questions? just ask!


A few tips :
Always press your seams with a hot iron.
use the same color thread as your fabric. This always adds a touch of professionalism. {not like my white thread that sticks out.}

6 comments:

The Starter House said...

lovin' the BC'S! that' Birth Control Glasses, to all you crazies out there. I knew those would look good in pix!!!! told you told you!
love the blouse as well...are you going to make me one...i'm going to be a nursing mother ;)

Jill said...

TOO CUTE!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Blessings!
Jill

Carrie said...

so cute! and it looks easy enough that I almost think I might be able to do it...almost.

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Very cute! I love how long it is too, I seem to always be tugging at my shirts to make them longer.

Crys said...

I know Dee Dee, I had to a a ruffle cause I am so dang tall, It works though, Finally clothes that fit!

Yulia from make it and wear it said...

Hi, thank you for sharing. Such a great tutorial! I posted your tutorial on my blog with a link back to your blog, hope it’s ok http://makeitandwearit.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/blouse-is-must-in-every-closet.html
Please write me if there is a problem makeandwear@gmail.com.
Cheers!