Thursday, June 24, 2010

Diaper cover

What you will need,
PUL Fabric
Thin Elastic
Velcro{I bought hook and look sew on velcro, It is softer}
Matching thread
tissue paper* optional
First things first I took a diaper I already had and pulling it to stretch the elastic traced it onto some spare fabric I had, Then I used this piece to trace the diaper shape to the PUL. Remember to add an extra 1/4 of an inch to the leg sides to fold over the elastic. also at the top and bottom I added an inch or so of fabric because I like the flip diapers that have flaps for the inserts to tuck into.
because one side of the PUL is plastic like it can stick to your foot so they suggest buying a teflon foot for your machine to make these daipers, I didn'y want to spend the money but a great alternative is to use tissue paper! or baby powder on the plastic-y side.
Next I did a zig zag stitch all along the edges.
Then take your elastic and hold the piece at the top of the leg, pull and stretch to the bottom of the leg and cut  that length. You will then need to sew the ends of the elastic to the very edge of the fabric on both ends. After you have done this step you can fold over the edges on both legs and straight stitch the inside edge making sure the elastic is tucked nicely inside.
I am sorry I didn't get a picture of this next step.
You take the back of the diaper which is the longer side, here is a finished look at it, if you can see you are
going to fold the edge down to create a flap on the inside of the cover. at the top of the flap there is elastic. before you fold it over you will want to stitch the ends of the elastic pulled tight to about 3 inches from the end of the back on both sides. Then fold it over and sew and straight stitch along the inside next to the elastic. When you let go the elastic will scrunch up and look like the picture above.

YOu will end up folding over the front too but first you want to sew the velcro on, I chose to do a zig zag stitch all around the edge followed by a straight stitch.
Then I did the same thing on the velcro on the back
This is just my first one and the second is already amazingly better!
I went to Joann's, Bought some PUL and started to make my own Diaper covers. I spent $18 on all the materials and will get 5 medium diapers and possible one newborn diaper/ or small wetbag for my purse. I am happy with the results so far, considering this was my first and I didn't really follow a pattern or tutorial I think it turned out great. It was easy and worth the work. A similar diaper cover would have cost me anywhere from $12-$15 each, mine will end up costing me about 3.50 each! yay. Plus I got to buy a new color, which is always fun, I think this blue will be cute on Tober.
I hope that made a little bit of sense, as always ask if you have any questions!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Your diaper posts make me nostalgic for when my youngest was in diapers! I clothe diapered her and would have love to know how to make my own!